Walk into just about any San Antonio home and you can probably find at least one room that has tile floors. San Antonio homeowners love tile and stone flooring because it’s durable, it has a beautiful natural appearance, and the tiles stay cool during warmer months.
All of us at Floor Coverings International NE San Antonio love tile just as much as you do—which is why we’ve decided to highlight one of our favorite kinds of durable tile flooring in this article. Read on to learn all about terracotta, or contact us to speak to a flooring expert in person!
What Is Terracotta Tile?
Though it has a rather exotic sounding name, terracotta is simply a type of extremely hard, reddish-brown ceramic. The name actually comes from the Latin word for “baked earth”—a reference to how terracotta clay is made by firing it in a kiln. If you want to get really technical, terracotta belongs to a subcategory of ceramics called “earthenware,” which can be glazed or unglazed.
Earthenware items have been around in some form for centuries. They are typically fired below 1200 degrees Fahrenheit, which means that they are non-vitreous. In case you’re not an expert on pottery, vitrification is the process of heating clay until it melts, making it impermeable to water. That means that unlike porcelain tiles, terracotta is somewhat porous—but don’t let that fool you. As you’ll see when you read below, terracotta is still more than up to the job of working for your kitchen, bathroom, or living area.
Benefits of Terracotta Tile Flooring for San Antonio Homeowners
Here are some of the reasons San Antonio homeowners should consider terracotta tile flooring for their homes:
- Natural brown and red colors are neutral enough to fit into any space—but don’t forget that you can glaze the tiles in a variety of colors to fit your design goals, or leave them unglazed for a simple, rustic, matte look.
- Ceramics are extremely durable, resisting scrapes, scratches and cracks. However, if you should experience a damaged tile, you can always swap it out for a new one.
- Use light or dark grout to create a beautiful contrast and give depth to your floors.
- Tiles can be cut in a variety of shapes, creating beautiful, unique design opportunities. Use large tiles for an urban farmhouse look, or play with pattern to create a dynamic statement piece in your bathroom or kitchen.
- Easy to clean, terracotta tiles need little more than a regular sweeping and occasional mopping. Don’t worry about water or spills as you would with hardwood flooring, and rest easy knowing that terracotta helps prevent the growth of mold and bacteria.
Transform Your Space With New Tile Floors
Ready to start your next project? Need more information from the experts at Floor Coverings International NE San Antonio? Book a free, in-home consultation! We proudly serve the greater Northeast San Antonio, New Braunfels, Schertz area, so contact us today to begin!